India's Struggle for Freedom Series

When I restarted my hobby, I picked up the thread on my collection of stamps from India's Struggle for Freedom series. I had originally posted about this in Jun 2016. Since then I have finally managed to complete this series. Technically it took me 34 years to complete this series, since I bought the first stamps from the post office when they were issued :-).

Different sources on the Internet provide varied information about this series on India's Struggle for Freedom. One source talks about the series starting in 1983 with the ambition of issuing 4-6 stamps each year until 1997, marking the 50th year of India's Independence.

The Philacent India catalog lists seven series from 1983 to 1989 with 44 stamps as India's Struggle for Freedom series, with similar design of tricolor on the edges commemorating a freedom fighter personality. Post 1989, there have been a few stamps with tricolor being used in the stamp sometimes on the edge, sometimes in another way, but none like the design of tricolor on both edges. Also the catalog doesn't list the other issues as part of the Struggle for Freedom series.

The official India Post website run by the Department of Posts (Ministry of Communication, Govt. of India) lists only the first three stamps in the series as INDIA'S STRUGGLE FOR FREEDOM. The other stamps are listed as commemorating specific personalities.

Here's my exhibit for India's Struggle for Freedom series.











No comments:

Post a Comment